A volunteer is an adult who is not employed by the District, and who serves on an occasional or regular basis in the school setting to assist the professional staff. A volunteer gives his or her time for the purpose of helping children through planned auxiliary services, and serves without receiving compensation or economic benefits.
Volunteers in the District
1. Must be at least 18 years of age;
2. Shall agree, in writing to abide by all policies, regulations, and procedures of the District and assigned school;
3. Are subject to the same screening procedures used for the regular school employees, including but not limited to the following:
- The district will require appropriate state criminal background checks as outlined in law on any individual recommended to be employed in a paid or volunteer position.
- Volunteers will be categorized by two levels: Level 1 volunteers are persons who will be under the supervision of a SSD employee and will be screened through the National Sex Offenders Registry. Level 2 volunteers are persons who will possibly be unsupervised while with SSD students and will undergo a more comprehensive SLED criminal background check. The district will pay the fee for the background checks for volunteers who wish to be approved for Level 2.
The District will not permit individuals whose names appear in the National Sex Offender Registry or individuals who have been required to register as a sex offender pursuant to the state law to work or serve in the District in any capacity.
4. Shall serve under the immediate supervision of a licensed professional school employee to the extent practicable;
5. Are not considered employees of the District, and have no right to any benefit of employment provided to the District employees, including, but not limited to, wages other pay, insurance, or employment rights;
6. Serve in an at-will capacity, and may be relieved of their volunteer duties whenever, in the judgment of the school principal, it is in the best interests of the school to do so;
7. Shall not provide transportation for school-sponsored activities, and shall not transport any individual student in his/her capacity as a District volunteer;
8. Shall maintain the same confidentiality standards expected of certified personnel, and shall not access confidential student records or files;
9. Serve as role models who influence the development of young people and are subject to the same standards of conduct and ethics as expected from all other staff, both at school and away from campus.
Download and complete a volunteer application today! Click on the image below to download the application.